Derek & Telaine chat with 'No Fructose' Gary Fettke - Orthopaedic Surgeon and Senior Lecturer of the University of Tasmania.
- The Nutritional Model of Inflammation and Modern Disease
- What happens in the cells, in simple terms, Sugar makes you hungry, Carbohydrates will make fat and Polyunsaturated Oils will make you inflamed and then sick. If you eat processed foods, and you do it regularly, and you have increasing amounts of it, you are going to become inflamed and as a result of that you will become sick. If we avoid processed food and just eat REAL food, particularly when it’s local and seasonal then we can avoid all of that illness.
- Inflammation is at the root cause of every illness we’ve got, autoimmune disease, mental health, children’s allergies, cardiovascular disease, cancer… inflammation sits underneath it all. If we can find out what causes the inflammation then we can look at all disease from a different angle.
- The current model of nutritional advice and the food pyramid has been around in Australia since 1980 however our current knowledge of Fructose has only come around since 2010.
- Fruit is something to have small amounts of irregularly, think of it as a treat not a daily food. Local, seasonal and in small amounts.
- Small changes every day will see you make vast improvements in your health. It’s about breaking habits.
- You don’t need to have 3 square meals a day and snacks. Eat when you’re hungry and listen to your body. It gets easier as you go.
- Once you get sugar out of your body foods will taste better. Sugar dampens your taste buds.
- As you drift toward nutritional ketosis you do need to increase your salt intake. This is due to the fact that insulin causes salt retention and as you follow an LCHF lifestyle you produce less insulin and therefore require a slightly higher salt intake.
Find out more about Gary Fettke here...
- twitter: fructoseno
- instagram: thegaryscience
This Episode bought to you by OptimOZ.com.au
PERFORM BETTER AND LIVE EVERY MOMENT OF LIFE TO ITS FULLEST
Use promo code: OPTIMOZLOWCARBISLAND for 10% off any order for first time customers.
OptimOZ.com.au: Australia’s best online store to support a ketogenic lifestyle.
PrimalCollective: Keto-friendly products:
FATs (Ghee and the Ghee/Coconut Oil Combo)
Organic Turmeric+ (anti-inflammatory support supplement, very popular with people suffering from joint pain) and our new product
Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) from a sustainable plant source (Most people associate plant Omega 3s with ALA. However, Marine Algae is a source of DHA/EPA. It is far more sustainable. We batch test regularly to ensure no rancidity (common problem with fish oils), no heavy metals and that our supplement delivers on the fatty acid profile promised.
Buy Bulletproof Coffee and supplements in Australia from OptimOZ.com.au